ST. MAGDALENE/ LINLITHGOW 1979 19 YEAR OLD - RARE MALTS
DISTILLERY CLOSED 1983
bottled in 1998, number 1630, with carton
Note: Built by Sebastian Henderson in the mid-1800s, St. Magdalene operated for over 200 years before its closure in 1983. With a capacity of 1 million litres per annum, the traditional coal-fired stills and naturally sourced water from the Union Canal produced a distinctively floral lowland malt, characterised by smoky undertones. As the majority of production went into blending, no official bottlings were released until the 1990s. Only two such bottlings were issued, one as part of Diageo's Rare Malts series, the other one of Diageo's special releases in 2004 marking a revived interest in this 'lost' distillery.