Architecture and Antiquarianism - English School (mid-19th c...

by Bamfords Auctioneers & Valuers
1/3

Hammer

£75

Fees

Architecture and Antiquarianism - English School (mid-19th century)
Back Elevation of the Town House of the Right Honourable The Earl of Harrington
monogrammed W.A.M. and titled in blue ink, pen and black ink, 28cm x 35cm; Samuel Middiman (1750-1831) & Francis Jukes (1745-1812), after James Wathen (c. 1751-1828), West End of Hereford Cathedral [...], London: Published April 30 1789 by F. Jukes, Engraver [...], aquatint engraving, 28.5cm x 35.5cm, (1); Thomas Bowles (1712-1767), by and after, A South View of Westminster Abbey & St. Margaret's Church [...], London: Printed for & Sold by T. Bowles [...], 1753, engraving with contemporary hand-colouring, 25.5cm x 39cm, (1), [3]

Harrington House, 13 Kensington Palace Gardens, London W8, was designed by Decimus Burton and C.J. Richardson, and built by the contractor William Jackson from 1852. This study dates from the property's construction and was almost certainly undertaken by an assistant in the architect's office. Leicester Stanhope CB, 5th Earl of Harrington (1784-1862), is said to have contributed to the design, including the tracery of the Gothic windows. The house is now currently the official residence of the Russian Ambassador to the British Court of St. James, the embassy itself with its consular department is located further down the road at 4-5 Kensington Palace Gardens. The Russian government pays a token rent of £1 per year for the house to the Crown; in return, Britain pays only one rouble per year rent for the British embassy in Moscow.

Closed
Auction Date:
10th Jun 21 at 10:30am BST

Fees apply to the hammer price:

Free Registration
28.8% inc VAT*

Flat Fee Registration
25.20% inc VAT*

*These fees include buyers premiums and internet surcharges.
Please see the auctioneers terms & conditions for more information

Other Lots in this Auction