€800 - €1200
Rosaleen Brigid Ganly HRHA (1909-2002) "THE IRONWORKS, CLONSKEAGH, COUNTY DUBLIN, 1945" oil on board signed with initials and dated lower left; titled on original label on reverse; also with Victor Waddington framing label preserved on reverse; inscribed by the artist in 1989 also on reverse "10.5 by 14in., 26.25 by 35cm." "The Gorry Gallery hosted a retrospective of the artist's work in 1987 and later there followed a retrospective in the Hugh Lane Municipal Gallery in 1998. Brigid Ganly (neé O'Brien) was the daughter of RHA past president Dermod O'Brien and sister-in-law Kitty Wilmer O'Brien. Born in Limerick but raised in Fitzwilliam Square, Dublin, Ganly entered the Metropolitan School of Art in 1925 where she studied painting under Seán Keating and Patrick Tuohy and sculpture under Oliver Sheppard. Her first exhibit with the RHA was in 1928 and she was elected Associate of the RHA the same year. Although she was an accomplished sculptor (she won the California Gold Medal for the Taylor Scholarship in 1929) it was in painting where she focused her talents. In 1930 she won the Taylor Scholarship and three years later travelled to Italy taking a studio in Florence for six months. In 1935 Ganly had her first solo show with the Dublin Painters Gallery, was elected a full member of the RHA and completed her first commission for All Saints Church, Blackrock. The following year she married Andrew Ganly, B.D.S. The period between the mid 1940s and early 1950s Ganly exhibited with Kitty Wilmer in Dublin, travelled to America to execute portrait commissions and represented Ireland in an Exhibition of Contemporary Irish Painting. Later she travelled to Paris to study briefly under André Lhote. On return to Ireland a solo show took place at the Dawson Gallery (1965) and by the late 1960s her conflicting attitudes with RHA on the matter of the modern school of painting and the 'Living Art' group of artists led to her resignation from the Academy (1969). She was made an Honorary member of RHA in 1972. Ganly continued to show work nationally during the 1970s and 1980s and a retrospective exhibition was held in the Gorry Gallery, Dublin in 1987 and later at the Hugh Lane Municipal Gallery in 1998. Her work can be found in the collection of the Hugh Lane, Crawford Gallery, Cork and the National Self Portrait Collection among others."""""