A FINE GEORGE III SILVER-MOUNTED MAHOGANY KNIFE BOX
18TH/EARLY 19TH CENTURY
the sloped top with arc-en-arbelette front central mounted panel opening to fitted interiors with chequer banding, with an engraved plaque depicting the marital arms of Duff, Earl of Fife and Sinclair (1759-1809)
27cm wide, 41cm high, 39cm deep
Note: The arms as depicted upon the engraved plaque date to between 1759 and 1809 are those of Duff, Earl Fife with Sinclair in pretence. These armorial bearings denote the marshalling of a marital coat showing the arms of the husband over the entire surface of the shield, whilst the arms of the wife
are placed on a small shield (known as an escutcheon of pretence) centrally on the husbands arms.
These arms commemorate the marriage of James Duff (born 29th September 1729 died 24th January 1809), the 2nd Earl Fife and his wife, Lady Dorothea Sinclair (born 1739 died 1818). She being the only child and heiress of Alexander Sinclair, the 9th Earl of Caithness and his wife, Margaret Primrose, who was the daughter of Archibald Primrose, the 1st Earl of Rosebery and his
wife, Dorothea Cressy.