1921 BSA Model K 4.25hp Motorcycle with Sidecar // Registration Number: XF 1534 / Frame Number: 8307 / MOT Test Expiry: Exempt / Guide Price: £4500 - 6500 / Road Tax Exempt // At the end of World War I, affordable transport took the form of various cyclecars and motorcycles. For the family man, a sidecar could be added and until the arrival of the Austin Seven, such was the picture.BSA had been manufacturing motorcycles since 1910 but switched to war work during the hostilities. Post 1919 new models emerged. For 1921 the new 4.25hp type H and type K arrived with 557cc side valve single pot engine with re-designed transmission. Silence and serviceability were to be the new watchwords for BSA. Reliability and a capacity for hard work had always been associated with the marque as can be seen in the results of all the big reliability trials of the period. Attention had been given to quietening the valve gear and improving the exhaust system. Controllability was to be improved by a hand operated clutch lever and the engine received modifications including a de compressor acting on the exhaust valve to make starting easier. Careful alterations were also made to the suspension and seat fittings to make for a more comfortable ride. 26 x 2.5 tyres were fitted, plus twin armoured tool boxes and a BSA carburettor. The standard of finish was high with much use of heavy duty enamelling replacing the usual mass of plated parts. Rather astonishingly, it is understood that this BSA Combination has been in the same family ownership since 1922, passing from father to son, the latter retaining it as part of his small collection of vehicles until he sadly passed away last year. Because of this, history is somewhat limited, but the motorcycle and sidecar have clearly been cherished and preserved well for an amazing full century. It does appear that the chain cases and foot boards have been detached but are present. The sidecar fitted is of the period and has a substantial chassis and couplings. The motorcycle pillion seat is an impressive double-sprung unit for maximum comfort, and the lighting is Powell and Hammer, with a Joseph Lucas No.354 lamp fitted to the sidecar. We are told that the engine has been running in recent times.Included in the sale is the RF60 registration book, the V5 registration document, various interesting receipts from 1922, insurance documents, a BSA Motor Bicycles catalogue of replacement parts for 1924, and a carburettor pamphlet. What a lovely piece of period slab tank engineering to cheer any workshop during the uncertain times which may lie ahead. Spring is near and the thought of sweeping through the country lanes on such a magnificent mount, will surely raise the deepest of gloom.