CONDITIONS OF SALE
1. General. Every Lot is sold with all faults and errors of description and the auctioneers disclaim, for themselves and for the vendor, all responsibility for authenticity, age, origin, condition or quality. All statements on such matters whether printed in the Catalogue or made orally are statements of opinion and not representations of fact. Purchasers are deemed to have satisfied themselves on authenticity, condition, etc., before bidding and no-one in the Auctioneers’ employment has authority to make any representation of fact.
2. Bidding. The Auctioneer has absolute discretion to divide any Lot, to combine any two or more Lots, to withdraw any Lots, to refuse bids and to regulate the bidding. He may bid on the vendor’s behalf for all goods which are being offered subject to reserve or at the Auctioneers’ discretion.
Our bidding increments are as follows:
From £5 - £99 = £5 increments
From £100 - £200 = £10 increments
From £200 - £500 = £20 increments
From £500 - £1000 = £50 increments
From £1000 - £2000 = £100 increments
From £2000 - £5000 = £200 increments
From £5000 - £10,000 = £500 increments
From £10 000 + = £1000 increments
Please ensure that any commission bids left with the auction house or with easyliveauction.com comply with the above increments, otherwise they will be rounded down to the nearest bidding increment
3. Fall of Hammer. The highest bidder shall be the buyer - if any dispute arises the Auctioneer has absolute discretion to settle the dispute or to re-offer the Lot. At the fall of the hammer every Lot shall be at the risk of the buyer, and the purchaser shall give to the Auctioneer his name and address and such proportion of the purchase price as the Auctioneer may require, in default of which the Auctioneer may re-offer and re-sell the Lot or Lots in question.
4. Clearance of Purchases. No purchases shall be claimed or removed until the Sale has been concluded. All lots shall be paid for and removed at the buyer’s risk and expense at the end of the first working day following the Sale, failing which the Auctioneers shall not be responsible if the same are lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed, and all Lots not so removed shall remain at the risk of the buyer and subject to a warehousing charge of £3 per lot per day. If they are not removed within seven days of the Sale the Auctioneers may re-sell them by auction or privately without notice to the buyer. Any liability which there may be on the part of the Auctioneers in respect of any loss shall be restricted to a maximum of the price paid by the purchaser of the Lot.
5. Agency and General. The Auctioneers act as agents only and they disclaim responsibility for default by either buyer or seller. They accept no responsibility in connection with the commissioning of members of their staff to bid for Lots on behalf of intending purchasers. Instructions given by telephone are accepted at the sender’s risk and must be confirmed in writing forthwith. The Auctioneers do not guarantee the title of any Lot or Lots sold by them and will not be responsible for any defect in such title.
6. Defaults. If any buyer fails to comply with any of the above conditions the damages recoverable from the defaulter shall include all loss arising from any re-sale of the Lot together with the charges and expenses in respect of both sales and any money deposited in part payment shall be held by the Auctioneers against the defaulter’s liability.
7. Third Party Liability. Every person on the Auctioneer’s premises at any time shall be deemed to be there at his own risk and with notice of the condition of the premises and of the method of arranging furniture, etc. He shall have no claim against the Auctioneers in respect of any injury he may sustain or any accident which may occur.
8. Viewers handling goods on display will be held fully responsible for any damage or breakage.
There is a buyer’s premium of 16% + V.A.T. on the hammer price.
All goods must be paid for within 48 hours of the date of sale, any extension of this must be agreed with the saleroom prior to the date of sale
Following the sale, payment for the goods can be made either by:
Cash, due to money laundering regulations, we are unable to accept payment of more than £5,000 in cash for an individual lot.
Cheque, Made payable to: Capes Dunn & Co.
Please note: cheques need to clear before goods can be collected.
UK Debit Card,
Payment accepted in person by card holder or maximum of £500 if payment made over the telephone, only one telephone payment accepted per invoice
UK Credit Card
Payment accepted in person by card holder.
Please note: We DO NOT accept credit card payments over the telephone.
Please note: payment by credit card will incur an additional 2.5% + VAT handling fee
We DO NOT accept American Express.
Direct Bank Transfer, please email for details
Collection of Goods
All goods must be collected within 48 hours of the date of sale, any extension of this must be agreed with the saleroom prior to the date of sale.
Capes Dunn & Co offers an online bidding service via www.easyliveauction.com for bidders who are unable to attend the sale.
In completing the bidder registration on www.easyliveauction.com and providing your credit card details and unless alternative arrangements are agreed with Capes Dunn you:
1. Authorise Capes Dunn & Co, if they so wish, to charge the credit card given in part or full payment, including all fees, for items successfully purchased in the auction via www.easyliveauction.com, and
2. Confirm that you are authorized to provide these credit card details to Capes Dunn & Co through www.easyliveauction.com and agree that Capes Dunn & Co are entitled to ship the goods to the card holder name and card holder address provided, via Mailboxes etc, at the buyers expense, in fulfillment of the sale.
Please note: Any lots purchased via www.easyliveauction.com live auction service will be subject to an additional 3% +VAT commission charge, at the rate imposed on the hammer price
The descriptions in this catalogue are for the purposes of
identifying the lots and are not intended in any way as a guarantee of authenticity. Please see the General Conditions of Sale on the inside front cover of this catalogue
All weights and measurements are approximate
Buyer's premium is 16% + V.A.T on the hammer price
* Denotes that goods belong to registered persons and
V.A.T. will be charged
YOUR ATTENTION IS PARTICULARLY DRAWN TO THE FOLLOWING
Whilst Capes Dunn & Co make every effort to ensure the accuracy of their catalogue and the description of any lot:
(a) Each lot as set out in the catalogue or as divided or combined with any other lot or lots is sold by the vendor with all faults, imperfections and errors of descriptions.
(b) Capes Dunn & Co do not accept responsibility for the authenticity, genuineness, origin, authorship, date, age, period, condition or quality of any lot, unless they have been instructed in writing by the vendor so to certify, and in such case the Auctioneers do so as agents of the vendor and are not themselves responsible for such claims.
(c) All statements, whether printed in the catalogue or made orally as to any of the matters set out in (b) above are statements of opinion only and are not to be taken as being or implying any warranties or representations of fact by Capes Dunn & Co, unless they have been instructed in writing by the vendor so to certify, and in such case the Auctioneers do so as agents of the vendor and are not themselves responsible for such claims.
(d) Droit de Suite
The Artist’s Resale Right Regulations
Following the introduction of the Artist’s Resale Right Regulations on 14 February 2006, Capes Dunn will implement the new levy as follows:
Capes Dunn will collect the same amount as the resale
royalty from the buyer for any work of art covered by the regulations.
Royalty rates will only apply to works sold in the secondary market and not for those sold for the first time, and for works which are sold for €1000 or more. Royalty rates are calculated as a percentage of the sale price on a sliding scale from 4% (from €1000 to €50,000) down to 0.25% (over €500,000).
Resale royalties ARE NOT subject to VAT.