Antique & Home Sale - Online Only (21/04/2021)
Sale starts at 10am
Continuing Covid 19 Protocol - Online live Bidding Only -
Viewing is not available for this auction.
We are working towards welcoming you back into our salerooms. In the meantime we are continuing with our click and collect appointment system and payment before collection.
Condition reports , Additional images and Videos are available on request. The absence of a report on the website does not imply that a lot is without imperfections. Condition reports are provided on the understanding that they are carried out to the best of our ability and that these reports refer solely to the condition, not the age or attribution, of a lot. Books are sold as seen and are not guaranteed to be complete. Condition reports should in no case be considered a replacement for viewing in person or a service for which we accept any liability whatsoever.
Cuttlestones offer 'additional information' only which does NOT form part of the sale contract.. Cuttlestones take no responsibility for any assumptions made by buyers as to condition, description etc. and will offer no refunds
Electrical goods buyer beware. Cuttlestones does not assume any responsibility for the condition or safety any electrical item(s). Bidders are to consider electrical lots as spares and repairs, and to be purchased at their own risk.
Cuttlestones' buyers premium is charged on top of the hammer price, this is 20% + VAT (24% inclusive).
Online bidding is hosted third party auction websites, if you are using them they charge the following additional charges on top of our standard buyers premium
• the-saleroom.com fee is 4.95% plus VAT.
• Easy Live Auction offer two options
o FREE Registration then a further 3% plus VAT on the hammer price of all lots you win or
o A Flat Fee of £3.00 regardless of whether you bid on / win lots
Invoicing and payment:
Your invoice will have our client account bank details for payment by direct wire. Payment is expected within 5 days of the sale. Email invoices and ATG Saleroom payment requests will be sent out to successful buyers as soon as possible. Please pay before collection.
We will continue to operate our click and collect appointment system until further notice.
We offer a shipping service using Royal Mail Special Delivery within the UK for small non-fragile items only, up to insured maximum of £2,500 - please email us for a quote. Cuttlestones will not be held responsible for making any claim for damage or loss.
For larger goods, ceramics, clocks or fragile items please contact the following to arrange a quote
Mail Boxes Etc. of Wolverhampton who provide collection, specialist packing and worldwide shipping 01902 422700 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
That’s Your lot of Wolverhampton also provide collection, specialist packing and shipping 01902 475212 or https://www.thats-your-lot.co.uk/contact
Local Deliveries – Stuart Bentley of Bentleys Removals 07988 229350
National deliveries- Paul Van4us 07792204448 or email email@example.com
S.D – Slight Damage and A.F – At Faut means we have identified that the Lot in question has some damage/faults. This is for guidance only and does not constitute that a Lot is free of damage/faults where no mention is made.
With Restorations means we have identified that the Lot in question in our opinion has some restoration, whether in full or part. This is for guidance only and does not constitute that a Lot is free of restoration where no mention is made.
PICTURES, PRINTS & WORKS OF ART
Any statement as to authorship, attribution, origin, date, age, provenance and condition is a statement of our opinion and is not to be taken as a statement of fact. Please read carefully the Terms and conditions printed in this catalogue.
LOWRY, LAURENCE STEPHEN (1887-1976): In our opinion a work by the artist
ATTRIBUTED TO LOWRY, LAURENCE STEPHEN (1887-1976): In our opinion a work by the artists but less certainty as to authorship is expressed than in the above category.
CIRCLE/MANNER/FOLLOWER OF LOWRY, LAURENCE STEPHEN: In our opinion a work by an unidentified hand associated with the artists but not necessarily a pupil or of the period of the artist
All dimensions are given in centimetres, height before width and are approximate. Pictures are unframed unless otherwise stated.
Artists Resale Rights may apply to certain Lots (living and deceased artists within 70 years) that fetch over 1,000 Euros hammer price. In which case a 4% surcharge is payable by the purchaser in addition to the hammer price and buyers’ premium (and if applicable, live bidding fees).
WEIGHTS & MEASUREMENTS
All weights and measurements quoted in this catalogue are to be regarded as approximate.
CLOCKS & WATCHES
All clocks and watches are sold as seen and have not been tested for operation. We therefore advise servicing by a suitably qualified horologist. There are no keys, weights or pendulums unless stated in the Lot description
21stApril 2021 from 10am BST – Antique & Interiors - Penkridge Auction Rooms *Closed Auction*
Fees apply to the hammer price:
27.6% inc VAT*
Flat Fee Registration
24% inc VAT*
*These fees include buyers premiums and internet surcharges.
Please see the auctioneers terms & conditions for more information
21st April 2021 from
- Antique & Home Sale - Online Only (21/04/2021)
(Lots 1 to 844)
1. Definitions. In these Conditions Cuttlestones Auctioneer’s act only as auctioneers and agents and the representative of Cuttlestones Auctioneer’s conducting the auction is called “the auctioneer”.
2. General. Whilst Cuttlestones Auctioneers make every effort to ensure the accuracy of their catalogues and the description of any lot:
a) Each lot as set out in the catalogue or as divided or combined with any other lot or lots is sold by the vendor with all faults, imperfections and errors of description. All items are offered for sale as viewed and are sold as seen. Premises are open to view items as advertised. The auctioneer does not take responsibility for origin or estimated price. All sales are final and no refunds are given. Cuttlestones Auctioneers do not accept responsibility for the authenticity, attribution, genuineness, origin, authorship, date, age, period, condition or quality of any lot unless they have been instructed in writing by the buyer to so certify.
b) Cuttlestones Auctioneers do not accept responsibility for the authenticity, attribution, genuineness, origin, authorship, date, age, period, condition or quality of any lot unless they have been instructed in writing by the buyer to so certify.
c) All statements whether printed in the catalogue or made orally as to any of the matters set out in b) above are the statements of opinion only and are not to be taken as being or implying any warranties of fact by Cuttlestones Auctioneers, unless they have been instructed in writing by the buyers to so certify.
3. The Auction.
a) The Auctioneer has absolute discretion to divide any lot, to combine any two or more lots or to withdraw any lot or lots from the sale, to refuse bids, regulate bidding or cancel the sale without in any case giving any reason or without previous notice. He may bid on behalf of the vendor for all goods, which are being offered subject to reserve or at the Auctioneers discretion.
b) The highest bidder shall be the buyer, who enters into a legally binding contract under the Sale of Goods Act 1979. The Auctioneer may at his sole discretion determine the advance of bidding or refuse a bid. If during the auction the Auctioneer considers that a dispute has arisen, he has absolute discretion to settle it or re-offer the lot.
c) Each lot is put up for sale subject to any reserve price placed by the vendor. Where there is no reserve price (but not otherwise) the seller has the right to bid either personally or by any one person (who may be the Auctioneer).
d) All conditions, notices, descriptions, statements and other matters in the catalogue and elsewhere concerning any lot are subject to any statements modifying or affecting the same made by the auctioneer from the rostrum to any bid being accepted for the lot.
4. Rescision. Notwithstanding any other terms or these conditions, if within seven days after the sale Cuttlestones Auctioneers, having received from the buyer of any lot in writing that in his view the lot is a deliberate forgery and within fourteen days after such notification the buyer returns the same Cuttlestones Auctioneers in the same condition as at the time of the sale and by producing evidence, the burden of proof to be upon the buyer, satisfied Cuttlestones Auctioneers that considered in the light of the entry in the catalogue the lot is a deliberate forgery then the sale of the lot will be rescinded and the purchase price of the same refunded. The vendor agrees to be bound by Cuttlestones Auctioneers decision.
5. Default. Cuttlestones Auctioneers disclaim responsibility for default by either the buyer or the vendor because they act as Auctioneers only and therefore, do not pay out to the vendor until payment is received from the buyer. Instructions given by telephone are accepted at the sender’s risk and must be confirmed in writing forthwith.
6. Third Party Liability. Every person on Cuttlestones Auctioneers premises at any time shall be deemed to be there at his own risk. He shall have no claim against Cuttlestones Auctioneers in respect of any accident which may occur or injury, damage or loss howsoever caused, save in so far as the injury Damage or loss shall be caused by the negligence of Cuttlestones Auctioneers employees.
7. Premium. The buyer shall pay the hammer price together with a premium of 17.5% of the hammer price (adjusted for VAT as necessary). The premium attracts VAT at the Standard Rate and is payable by all purchasers.
CONDITIONS OF SALE APPLICABLE TO SELLERS – 2014 ENTRIES ONWARDS
8. Commission Charges for Vendors are per lot and are as follows: A charge of £3.00 per lot and 18% of the Hammer Price for Antique & Interior Sale lots, and £6.00 per lot and 16% of the Hammer Price for Fine Art Sale and dedicated Collectors Sale lots. Commission Charges are subject to Standard Rate VAT.
9. Instructions. As Cuttlestones Auctioneers are auctioneers, all goods delivered to Cuttlestones Auctioneers premises will be deemed to be delivered for sale by auction unless otherwise stated in writing and will be catalogued and sold at Cuttlestones Auctioneers discretion and accepted by Cuttlestones Auctioneers subject to all the sale conditions. By delivering the goods to Cuttlestones Auctioneers for inclusion in their auction sales each vendor acknowledges that he or she has accepted and agreed to be bound by all these conditions.
10. Reserves. Cuttlestones Auctioneers will be pleased to advise on suitable protective reserves, but if no reserve has been received prior to the day of sale, the lot will be sold without reserve or at the discretion of the auctioneer. Reserves must be confirmed in writing or notified on the receipt at the time of delivery.
11. Vendors will be charged for goods left on the premises if the vendor has been requested to remove them and if the goods are not removed within fourteen days of such request Cuttlestones Auctioneers reserve the right to sell the goods to defray costs and storage charges.
12. Cuttlestones Auctioneers reserve the right to store or arrange the storage of goods delivered to them for sale either on their own premises or elsewhere at their sole discretion. They exempt themselves from any liability for loss or damage to goods delivered to their salerooms without sufficient sale instructions.
13. All goods will be held insured against the risks of fire, burglary, and water damage. The value of the goods so covered shall be the gross amount realised or in the case of unsold lots the best bid, or in the case of withdrawn lots prior to a sale that which the specialised staff of Cuttlestones Auctioneers shall in their absolute discretion, estimate to be the auction value of goods.
14. The vendor will duly indemnify Cuttlestones Auctioneers in connection with any goods sold on the vendor’s behalf.
15. Cuttlestones Auctioneers declaim all responsibility for loss or damage of goods or for unauthorised removal of goods unless caused by negligence of their employees.
16. All lots to be at the sole risk and charge of the purchaser from the fall of the hammer, and such lots to be taken away with all faults, defects and errors in descriptions without any power of dispute, at the risk and expense of the purchaser. No purchaser shall be entitled to remove any lot until payment has been received in full for the lots purchased
17. Settlement is normally 2/3 weeks post auction less charges, provided Cuttlestones have been paid by the purchaser. VAT is applicable on all services. Where the nett payout is less then £5, Cuttlestones will not pay out to defray administration costs.
18. All catalogued lots withdrawn prior to auction will incur a minimum £10 withdrawal fee if valued at under £50 or 15% of the lower estimate of items valued at over £50.
19. Expenses: Vendors agree to pay all costs relating to a) packing and shipping the lots to the saleroom or returned.
20. Value Added Tax. A vendor who sends for sale by auction any chattel(s) which is an asset of his own business must disclose to the Auctioneer whether or not he is a registered person for VAT purposes, and, if so, his registered number and whether or not he intends to operate the special scheme covering works of art etc. This information must be supplied to the Auctioneer on or prior to delivery of the goods.
21. Electrical and Mechanical goods: The seller or consignor of electrical or mechanical goods warrants and undertakes to Cuttlestones Auctioneer that at the date on which the same are consigned to the sale rooms, are expected safe if reasonable used for the purpose for which they were designed and free from any defect not obviously on external inspection which could prove dangerous to human life or health and will indemnify Cuttlestones Auctioneers its servants and agents against loss or damage suffered by any of them in consequence of any breach of the above warranty and undertaking, Cuttlestones Auctioneers reserve the right to make a minimum charge of £1 per item to have the goods checked for the safety of the item.
22. Estimates: All auction estimates and descriptions are subject to revision at any point up until sale.
Shipping: We do not provide any in house packaging or shipping service. Cuttlestones work closely with Mail Boxes Etc. of Wolverhampton who provide collection, specialist packing and worldwide shipping for items bought through our sales at competitive rates. Through their Auction Room Delivery Service, Mail Boxes Etc. will arrange to collect items shortly after each sale. Contact Mail Boxes Etc. directly on 01902 422700 or firstname.lastname@example.org.