Monthly Auction of Antiques and Collectables (Online-Only)
Leighton Hall Auctions LTD are extremely proud to present their catalogue for their ONLINE-ONLY sale at 11am on Saturday 15th January 2022.
The sale consists of over 460 lots to include a good range of antiques and collectables including Pottery, Gold and Silver Jewellery, Furniture, Silver and various other antiques too!
People have been asking when we shall start having auctions with people in the room as well as online! This is something we, as a company, are eager to start however we don't currently have the facility to do so at this present time due not being able to find suitable premises! We are looking to hold viewing days and in-person auctions as soon as we are able and will hopefully update you once we have found a suitable venue.
The sale is purely ONLINE-ONLY with LIVE online bidding accepted through our own website (www.leightonhallauctions.com ), Easylive Auctions and The-Saleroom, whilst phone and commission bids are gratefully accepted too! Buyer's Premium is charged at 20% plus VAT (24% VAT inclusive) which is payable on top of the hammer price for every lot unless otherwise stated. Bidding online also incurs an extra charge depending on which platform and option you choose.
Each lot has a full description complimented with at least one picture and in most instances, an accompanying condition report too, which are completed to the best of our ability but should be used as an indication only. If you require further information about a lot's condition, then please don't hesitate to contact us!
Leighton Hall Auctions offers an in-house Postage and Packing facility so please contact us should you have any queries relating to that. Please see our shipping policy for any other queries.
Collections of purchased lots are welcomed, however, these must also be paid for in advance and pre-arranged due to the lots being stored securely off-site to ensure we can have the lots here for you to collect without any problems. Collections are to be made from Tuesday to Friday in the week following the sale from 8AM until 5PM. All lots must be paid for and collected/ posted arranged 5 working days after the auction, unless otherwise agreed prior to the auction. If goods aren't collected within 5 days of the auction, then a storage charge of Â£1 per day per lot will be added as we sadly can't continue to offer free storage. If you have difficulty to collect within 5 days, then please speak to us and we will be more than happy to help where we can!
Please contact us before arriving at our premises to ensure someone is around to help you and ensure we can ensure your lots are onsite, and not in our storage facility offsite.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact our office at any point during normal working hours! Please note, it is unlikely we will be able to answer the phone on sale day due to being occupied with the sale. We shall be available from Monday to Friday everyday otherwise from 9AM until 5PM.
We hope you enjoy looking through the catalogue and we all look forward to dealing with you!
Auctioneer/ Managing Director
15th January 2022 from
(Lots 1 to 425)
Fees apply to the hammer price:
27.6% inc VAT*
Flat Fee Registration
24% inc VAT*
*These fees include buyers premiums and internet surcharges.
Please see the auctioneers terms & conditions for more information
Leighton Hall Auctions Limited carries on business with bidders, buyers and all those present in the auction room prior to or in connection with a sale on the following General Conditions and on such other terms, conditions and notices as may be referred to herein. These terms apply to Leighton Hall Auctions Limited trading as Leighton Hall Auctions.
1. DEFINITIONS In these Conditions:
1. “auctioneer” means the firm of Leighton Hall Auctions Limited or its authorised auctioneer, as appropriate;
2. “deliberate forgery” means an imitation made with the intention of deceiving as to authorship, origin, date, age, period, culture or source but which is unequivocally described in the catalogue as being the work of a particular creator and which at the date of the sale had a value materially less than it would have had if it had been in accordance with the description;
3. “hammer price” means the level of bidding reached (at or above any reserve) when the auctioneer brings down the hammer;
4. “terms of consignment” means the stipulated terms and rates of commission on which Leighton Hall Auctions accepts instructions from sellers or their agents;
5. “total amount due” means the hammer price in respect of the lot sold together with any premium, Value Added Tax chargeable and any additional charges payable by a defaulting buyer under these Conditions;
6. “sale proceeds” means the net amount due to the seller, being the hammer price of the lot sold less commission at the stated rate, Value Added Tax chargeable and any other amounts due to us by the seller in whatever capacity and however arising;
7. “You”, “Your”, etc. refer to the buyer as identified in Condition 2.
8. The singular includes the plural and vice versa as appropriate.
2. BIDDING PROCEDURES AND CONDUCT OF THE AUCTION
1. Bidders are required to register their details including photographic identification before bidding and to satisfy any security arrangements before entering the auction room to view or bid. Any bidder who refuses to provide the requested identification may be refused permission to bid.
2. The auctioneer has discretion at any time to refuse any bid, withdraw any lot, re-offer a lot for sale (including after the fall of the hammer) if they believes there may be error or dispute, and take such action as they reasonably thinks fit.
3.Subject to condition 2(b) the contract between the buyer and seller is concluded on the striking of the auctioneers hammer whereupon the buyer becomes liable to pay the purchase price.
4.Any post auction sales of lots offered at auction shall incorporate these conditions as if sold in the auction.
5.Our right to bid on behalf of the seller is expressly reserved up to the amount of any reserve and the right to refuse any bid is also reserved.
Bidding increments shall be at the auctioneer’s sole discretion.
4. THE PURCHASE PRICE
The buyer shall pay the hammer price together with a premium thereon of 20%. The premium is subject to VAT at the standard rate. (24% inclusive of VAT)
5. VALUE ADDED TAX
Value Added Tax on the hammer price is imposed by law on all items affixed with an asterisk or double asterisk. Value Added Tax is charged at the appropriate rate prevailing by law at the date of sale and is payable by buyers of relevant Lots. (Please refer to “Information for Buyers” for a brief explanation of the VAT position).
1. Immediately a Lot is sold you will:
i. give to us, if requested, proof of identity, and
ii. pay to us the total amount due in cash, debit, credit card or bank transfer or in such other way as is agreed by us.
iii. All international buyers must pay by bank transfer and must pick up any additional charges incurred.
2. Any payments by you to us may be applied by us towards any sums owing from you to us on any account whatever without regard to any directions of you or your agent, whether express or implied.
7. TITLE AND COLLECTION OF PURCHASES
The ownership of any Lots purchased shall not pass to you until you have made payment in full to us of the total amount due.
1. See below:
i. You shall at your own risk and expense take away any lots that you have purchased and paid for no later than 5 working days following the day of the auction in the case of furniture and carpets or 5 working days following the day of the auction in the case of all other items.
ii. Leighton Hall Auctions can offer a limited in-house post & packing service for the majority of items which the buyer shall be charged for depending on the size and weight of parcels, though we reserve the right to refuse to post an item should we not feel comfortable posting it. If an item needs posting, this must be arranged and paid for no later than 5 working days after the auction has finished. We will then aim to dispatch the parcel no later than 10 working days after the payment has cleared.
2. No purchase can be claimed or removed until it has been paid for and payment has cleared.
3. Invoices will not be split or title transferred to another person(s). Invoices must be paid in full before any lots can be removed.
4. Purchased lots must be collected within the allocated time as stated in the Information for Buyers section 15, storage charges are applicable thereafter at a rate of £1 per lot per day for small items or £5 per lot per day for furniture and larger items unless previously arranged. Purchased lots are at the Buyer’s risk (and therefore their sole responsibility for insurance) from the moment the invoice has been paid.
8. REMEDIES FOR NON-PAYMENT OR FAILURE TO COLLECT PURCHASES
1. If any Lot is not paid for in full and taken away in accordance with these Conditions or if there is any other breach of these Conditions, we, as agent for the seller and on our own behalf, shall at our absolute discretion and without prejudice to any other rights we may have, be entitled to exercise one or more of the following rights and remedies:
i. to proceed against you for damages for breach of contract;
ii. rescind the sale of that Lot and/or any other Lots sold by us to you;
iii. to resell the Lot (by auction or private treaty) in which case you shall be responsible for any resulting deficiency in the total amount due (after crediting any part payment and adding any resale costs). Any surplus so arising shall belong to the seller;
iv. to remove, store and insure the Lot at your expense and, in the case of storage, either at our premises or elsewhere;
v. to charge interest at a rate not exceeding 1% per month on the total amount due to the extent it remains unpaid for more than 3 working days after the sale;
vi. to retain that or any other Lot sold to you until you pay the total amount due;
vii. to reject or ignore bids from you or your agent at future auctions or to impose conditions before any such bids shall be accepted;
viii. to apply any proceeds of sale of other Lots due or in future becoming due to you towards the settlement of the total amount due and to exercise a lien (that is a right to retain possession of) any of your property in our possession for any purpose until the debt due is satisfied. We shall, as agent for the seller and on our own behalf pursue these rights and remedies only so far as is reasonable to make appropriate recovery in respect of breach of these conditions.
9. THIRD PARTY LIABILITY
All members of the public on our premises are there at their own risk and must note the lay-out of the accommodation and security arrangements. Accordingly neither the auctioneer nor our employees or agents shall incur liability for death or personal injury (except as required by law by reason of our negligence) or similarly for the safety of the property of persons visiting prior to or at a sale.
10. ABSENTEE BIDS, TELEPHONE BIDS AND LIVE ONLINE BIDDING
Whilst prospective buyers are strongly advised to attend the auction and are always responsible for any decision to bid for a particular Lot and shall be assumed to have carefully inspected and satisfied themselves as to its condition, we will if so instructed clearly and in writing execute bids on their behalf.
1. Lots will be purchased by the Auctioneer on behalf of the absentee bidder for the lowest price allowed by other bids and/or reserves if any, up to and including their maximum bid amount recorded. The Auctioneers cannot accept responsibility for any neglect or default in executing or failing to execute absentee bids whether through the auctioneer or through any online bidding software, or where a bidding slip has been completed incorrectly. We urge absentee bidders, to ensure that the correct lot number(s) and price(s) are recorded on their bidding forms.
2. Where two or more absentee bids at the same level are recorded we reserve the right in our absolute discretion to prefer the first bid so made.
3. Telephone Bids. Any person unable to attend the auction may request to bid on a specific lot by telephone. This facility is only available by prior arrangement with the Auctioneers. The Auctioneers cannot accept responsibility for any neglect or default in executing or failing to execute telephone bids.
4. Live Online bidding. An online bidding service is offered via easyLiveAuction.com. In completing the bidder registration on these sites the buyer is agreeing to Leighton Hall Auctions conditions of sale.
i. In the case where a debit or credit card has been used to register the buyer also agrees to authorise Leighton Hall Auctions, if they so wish, to charge the debit or credit card given in part or full payment, including all fees, for items successfully purchased in the auction via the online bidding platform.
ii. Please note that any lots purchased via easyLiveAuction.com may be subject to an additional 3% commission charge + VAT at the rate imposed on the hammer price if that option is selected at registration. If the ‘Flat Fee’ option is selected at registration there in no additional commission for the online bidding on the easyLiveAuction.com platform.
iii. Leighton Hall Auctions offers online bidding services as a convenience to its clients, but neither Leighton Hall Auctions nor the seller will be responsible to you for errors during or after the sale or failures to execute bids, either live bids or absentee bids, placed on the internet or on your mobile device, including, without limitation, errors or failures caused by: (aa) any loss of connection to the auction being conducted online; (bb) a breakdown or problems with the online bidding software or the web site service provider; and/or (cc) a breakdown or problems with any internet connection, computer, mobile device or system.
11. WARRANTY OF TITLE AND AVAILABILITY
1. The seller warrants to the auctioneer and you that the seller is the true owner of the property consigned or is properly authorised by the true owner to consign it for sale and is able to transfer good and marketable title to the property free from any third-party claims.
2. No representation or warranties are made by Leighton Hall Auctions or the seller as to whether any lot is subject to copyright or whether the buyer acquires copyright in any lot.
The auctioneer normally acts as agent only and disclaims any responsibility for default by sellers or buyers.
13. TERMS OF SALE
The seller acknowledges that Lots are sold subject to the stipulations of these Conditions in their entirety and on the Terms of Consignment as notified to the consignor at the time of the entry of the Lot.
14. DESCRIPTION AND CONDITION OF LOTS
1.Whilst we seek to describe lots accurately, it may be impractical for us to carry out exhaustive due diligence on each lot. Prospective buyers are given ample opportunities to view and inspect before any sale and they (and any independent experts on their behalf) must satisfy themselves as to the accuracy of any description of a lot. Prospective buyers also bid on the understanding that, inevitably, representations or statements by us as to authorship, genuineness, origin, date, age, provenance, condition or estimated selling price involve matters of opinion. We undertake that any such opinion shall be honestly and reasonably held and accept liability for opinions given negligently or fraudulently. Subject to the foregoing neither we, the auctioneer nor our employees or agents, nor the seller accept liability for the correctness of such opinions and all conditions and warranties, whether relating to description, condition or quality of lots, express, implied or statutory, are hereby excluded. This Condition is subject to the next following Condition concerning deliberate forgeries.
2. Condition Reports. Reports on the condition of any lot are offered by the Auctioneers as a statement of opinion only, and not of fact. Leighton Hall Auctions Limited are not liable for any errors or omissions contained therein. The buyer must satisfy themselves to the condition of any given lot prior to bidding. Leighton Hall Auctions will not be held responsible for any damage or defect that has not been notified to the buyer. Catalogue illustrations are for guidance only and will not convey full information as to the actual condition of lots. Whilst Leighton Hall Auctions will try our best to give accurate condition reports, these are only a matter of opinion and used for indications, not as facts. You must satisfy yourself as to the condition of a lot.
3. Where the term (a/f) is used this refers to a lot being ‘as found’, it is used for guidance only and indicates in our opinion there is significant damage or repair to an item, the omission of this term does not indicate there is not significant damage or repair to an item and Leighton Hall Auctions are not liable for the omission of this term.
4. Private treaty sales made under these Conditions are deemed to be sales by auction for purposes of consumer legislation.
15. FORGERIES & RETURNS
Notwithstanding the preceding Condition, any Lot which proves to be a deliberate forgery (as defined) may be returned to us by you within 21 days of the auction provided it is in the same condition as when bought, and is accompanied by particulars identifying it from the relevant catalogue description and a written statement of defects. Leighton Hall Auctions may require the buyer to obtain at the buyer’s cost the reports of two independent and recognised experts in the field, mutually acceptable to Leighton Hall Auctions and the buyer. If we are satisfied from the evidence presented that the Lot is a deliberate forgery we shall refund the money paid by you for the Lot including any buyer’s premium provided that (1) if the catalogue description reflected the accepted view of scholars and experts as at the date of sale or (2) if you personally are not able to transfer a good and marketable title to us, you shall have no rights under this condition. The right of return provided by this Condition is additional to any right or remedy provided by law or by these Conditions of Sale.
16. ONLINE ONLY TIMED AUCTIONS
These following terms are applicable only to sales conducted online only and are to be used in addition to the conditions of sale.
1.Right to Cancel. If you are a consumer resident in the European Union you have the right to cancel the contract for the purchase of a lot within 14 calendar days without giving any reason.
i. The cancellation period will expire after 14 calendar days from the day on which you acquire (or a party nominated by you and is not the shipper) physical possession of the lot.
ii. To exercise the right to cancel, you must inform us of your decision to cancel this contract by a clear written statement (e.g. a letter sent by post, fax or email). The communication must be received within 14 calendars days from the day on which you acquire the lot.
iii. If you cancel the contract, we will reimburse all payments received from you excluding postage or storage costs.
iv. We may make a deduction from the reimbursement for loss in value of any goods supplied, if the loss is the result of damaged caused by unnecessary handling whilst in your possession. We will make the reimbursement without undue delay, and not later than:
(i). 14 calendar days after the day we receive back from you any goods supplied, or
(ii). (if earlier) 14 calendar days after the day you provide evidence that you have returned the goods. iii. We will make the reimbursement using the same means of payment as you used for the initial transaction, unless you have expressly agreed otherwise; in any event, you will not incur any fees as a result of the reimbursement. We may withhold reimbursement until we have received the goods back or you have supplied evidence of having sent back the goods, whichever is earliest.
2. Liability. Leighton Hall Auctions nor the seller will be responsible to you for errors during or after the online only timed auction or failures to execute bids placed on the internet or on your mobile device, including, without limitation, errors or failures caused by:
i. any loss of connection to the auction being conducted online;
ii. a breakdown or problems with the online bidding software or the website service provider; and/or
iii. a breakdown or problems with any internet connection, computer, mobile device or system.
We shall have the right at our discretion, to refuse admission to our premises or attendance at our auctions by any person.
18. Where a member of the public causes damage to a lot (or part thereof) the Auctioneers reserve the right to:
1. sell the aforementioned without reserve and to hold that specific individual liable for the amount of any difference between the hammer price and the reserve or low estimate;
2. hold that specific individual liable for the cost of restoration where appropriate;
3. hold that specific individual liable for the full amount of the reserve price or lower estimate as applicable.
4. any right to compensation for losses liabilities and expenses incurred in respect of and as a result of any breach of these Conditions and any exclusions provided by them shall be available to the seller and/or the auctioneer as appropriate.
5. such rights and exclusions shall extend to and be deemed to be for the benefit of employees and agents of the seller and/or the auctioneer who may themselves enforce them.
19. Any notice to any buyer, seller, bidder or viewer may be given by first class mail or email if provided in which case it shall be deemed to have been received by the addressee 48 hours after posting or sending.
20. Special terms may be used in catalogue descriptions of particular classes of items in which case the descriptions must be interpreted in accordance with any glossary of terms appearing in the catalogue.
21. Any indulgence extended to bidders, buyers or sellers by us notwithstanding the strict terms of these Conditions or of the Terms of Consignment shall affect the position at the relevant time only and in respect of that particular concession only; in all other respects these Conditions shall be construed as having full force and effect.
22. English law applies to the interpretation of these Conditions. These terms and conditions are based upon recommended conditions of sale by SOFAA (the Society of Fine Art Auctioneers) and RICS (the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors).
Leighton Hall Auctions offer an in-house post and packing service for most items that are sold through our auctions. The minimum charge applied for our services will be £12.50 plus VAT (UK) and will depend on the weight, size, quantity and nature of the items that need to be posted. We aren’t professional packers but have experience of posting a range of items to both domestic and international destinations. We cant take responsibility for any parcels if they have been lost or broken if they aren’t insured. If any import tax or duty needs to be paid, then this will become the buyer's responsibility to pay.
Postage needs to be arranged and paid for no later than 5 working days after the auction. Parcels will be sent as soon as possible but take up to 2 weeks after payment has cleared to be dispatched.
For ALL international postage enquiries, please contact us prior to bidding.
All items will be sent using a tracked service and the recipient will assume full responsibility when it leaves our saleroom. Insurance can be purchased by the buyer at a cost of 5% + VAT of the hammer price. If not insured, then we will not accept responsibility for the parcel(s) should they arrive damaged or get lost in transit.
For larger items, we cant offer postage, however, we do work closely with a range of couriers who can offer their services. Please contact us for details.
Alternatively, you can arrange your own postage or collection but please notify us of your arrangements.
If you are planning to collect your items in person, please ensure you contact us prior to arrange a date and time to collect your lots to ensure we have them for you. Please note, the lots are securely stored off-site so we need advanced warning to ensure we have them at our premises ready for you to pick up!