Terms & Conditions
Jones and Llewelyn undertakes business with bidders, buyers and all those present in the auction room prior to or in connection with a sale on the following General Conditions and on other such terms, conditions and notices as may be referred to herein. Each buyer by making a bid for a lot acknowledges that they have satisfied themselves fully before bidding by inspection or otherwise as to all the Sale Conditions the physical condition of and description of the lot including but not restricted to whether the lot is damaged or has been repaired or restored.
1. Buyers shall give their names and places of abode and/or business and to pay at the fall of the hammer the whole of the purchase money or such deposit as the Auctioneers may require.
2. Once made, no bid may be withdrawn.
3. The highest bidder shall be the buyer at the “Hammer Price” and any dispute shall be settled at the Auctioneers absolute discretion. The Auctioneer shall have the right to determine the advance of the bid. The Auctioneer reserves the right to refuse any bid and of altering, adding to, dividing, consolidating or withdrawing any Lot or Lots at the sale or bidding on behalf of the Seller. The Auctioneers shall be the sole arbitrators to every matter connected to the sale and their decision on each and every point in question shall be final and binding on all parties.
4. Commission Bids will be executed free of charge for those unable to attend the sale but only upon receipt of written instructions. All commission bids are accepted only at senders risk and no refunds or allowances shall be made to senders in respect of any error in description, lot number or maximum bid made by the sender. Neither the auctioneer nor our employees or agents shall be responsible for any failure to do so save where such failure is unreasonable. Where two or more commission bids at the same level are recorded we reserve the right in our absolute discretion to prefer the first bid so made.
5. Bidding Increments shall be at the auctioneer’s sole discretion. The usual
schedule is :
£0 - £50 £2 increments
£51 – £100 £5 increments
£101 - £500 £10 increments
£501 - £1000 £20 increments
£1001 + £100 increments
6. The buyer shall pay the hammer price together with a premium thereon of 20% + VAT on the premium at the rate imposed by law.
7. Full payment and collection of Lots by the buyer shall not exceed 5.30pm on the Tuesday after the day of the sale and the buyer shall be responsible for any removal, storage and insurance charges on any Lot not so removed. The ownership of any Lots purchased shall not pass to you until you have made payment in full to us of the total amount due.
8. All lots to be at the sole risk and charge of the buyer from the fall of the hammer and such Lots to be taken away with all faults, defects and errors of description of whatsoever nature. No buyer shall be entitled to remove any Lot until he or she has paid for the whole of the Lots purchased in full. If requested to do so the purchaser must supply reasonable means of identification and a receipted account before removing any or all lots.
9. Jones and Llewelyn are unable to arrange packaging or shipping of items. Successful buyers must make these arrangements independently, though the saleroom may be able to suggest specialist shipping companies who can advise buyers, this advice is not a recommendation and the saleroom is not liable for any aspect of the packaging and shipping process. Please note that the cost of packaging and shipping depends on the size/weight of the item(s) purchased, insurance requirements, and the shipping destination, not on the value of the item(s) purchased. Please note that any items not collected within one week of the sale date may be automatically removed to commercial storage and subject to a storage charge.
10. On failure of compliance with these Conditions, the Auctioneers shall be at liberty to re-offer the Lot or Lots in the next sale without further notice, either by public or Private Sale and the deficiency, if any, arising from such second sale together with all charges and expenses attending the sale shall be recovered as and for liquidated damages. Furthermore the Auctioneers shall be entitled to exercise one or more of the following rights and remedies:
a. Proceed against buyer for breach of contract.
b. To rescind the sale of any other Lots to the defaulting purchaser.
c. To reject or ignore any bids made by the defaulting purchaser or to obtain a deposit before accepting further bids.
11. For all purposes of the sale the Auctioneers shall be deemed to be Agents of both the Buyer and Seller and shall not be held responsible for any default by either the buyer or seller.
12. Every person on Jones and Llewelyn premises at any time shall be deemed to be there at their own risk and shall have no claim against Jones and Llewelyn in respect of any injury he/she may sustain or any accident which may occur. Jones and Llewelyn shall have the right at their discretion to refuse admission to their premises to any person.
13. Jones and Llewelyn reserve the right to cancel any sale without prior notice.
14. Jones and Llewelyn offer an online bidding service via easyLiveAuction.com for bidders who cannot attend the sale. In completing the bidder registration on easyLiveAuction.com and providing your credit card or debit card details and unless alternative arrangements are agreed with Jones and Llewelyn, in the absence of compliance of these conditions these details may be utilised by us to settle any amounts owing by such buyers. Please note that any lots purchased via easyLiveAuction.com live auction service will be subject to an additional 3% commission charge + VAT to the rate imposed on the hammer price.