Bidding - Bidding is at the rate shown by each lot e.g. per 12 bottles, per 6 magnums, per lot etc.
Estimates - The prices quoted against each lot are intended as a guide only.
Commission Bids - Commissions to bid will be accepted. Lots will be bought at the lowest price permitted by other bids and reserves. We accept bids through our website, email, phone, letter or fax and must be received no later than 12 noon the day before the auction.
Offers - All lots other than lots marked i.b. (In Bond) are offered duty paid and bidding is at duty paid prices. VAT: Buyers are liable to VAT at the current rate of 20% on the purchase price of all lots marked with a ‘v’.
Payment - Payment is due within five working days on receipt of invoice. J. Straker Chadwick & Sons (hereafter known as JSC) reserve the right to charge interest at a rate equal to 5% above the base rate of Natwest Bank PLC, per month, or part month (compound interest) on all overdue accounts.
Release and Collection - JSC will only release a buyer’s lots when full payment has been received.
Purchasers using a courier/third party to collect and deliver their wine must make JSC aware who will be collecting their items and when. JSC will not release any wine until we have received written notice from the purchaser. JSC take no responsibility whatsoever for damage to any goods in transit, either before or after an auction. The risk of damage to goods in transit is the responsibility of the purchaser or vendor, who should make the appropriate insurance arrangements to cover carriage of their goods. The contract for carriage is between the purchaser or vendor and courier.
All post-sale collections are to be strictly by appointment only.
Loss, Breakage or Shortages - All lots are at the buyer’s risk once released from JSC’s premises.
Payment Types Accepted - All payments should be made by Bank Transfer. (BACS)
Export - All overseas purchasers must satisfy themselves as to any local charges, (taxation or duty) which may apply and agree to settle all such costs.
Charges - As well as the hammer price, purchasers will pay to JSC a buyers’ premium of
18% (incl. VAT) to make up the final bid price. Additional charges will apply for bidding online via The Saleroom.com
Further information from the Auctioneers’ Offices:
TIVERTON PLACE, LION STREET, ABERGAVENNY, MONMOUTHSHIRE. NP7 5PN
TEL: 01873 852624 FAX: 01873 857311
WEBSITE: www.strakerchadwick.co.uk E-MAIL: email@example.com
Catalogues for future sales are available from the Auctioneers’ Offices at £7 each or £40 for a year (£60 overseas) subscription
J. Straker, Chadwick & Sons is a trading name of J. Straker, Chadwick & Sons Ltd. Registered in England and Wales No:7256798
CONDITIONS OF SALE
1. The highest bidder shall be the buyer, subject to the right of the Auctioneers to reject any bidding they may think fit, and subject to the right of the vendor(s) to bid. If any dispute arises as to the highest bidding, such dispute shall be finally settled by the Auctioneers or at their option the lot in dispute may be re-sold. No bidding shall be retracted. The biddings will be regulated by the Auctioneers.
2. All lots are put up for sale subject (a) to any reserve price imposed by the vendor, (b) to the right of the Vendor to bid either personally or by any one person (who may be the Auctioneer). Unless otherwise stated in writing J Straker, Chadwick & Sons act as an agent for the seller and shall accordingly not be liable for any act or default either of the seller or the buyer. Unless expressly acknowledged by J Straker, Chadwick & Sons in writing, every bidder shall be deemed to act as principal and not as an agent for any other person.
3. Every lot must be taken to with all faults and incorrect descriptions (if any). Whilst the Auctioneers endeavour to ensure that any statement of origin, date, age and attribution is accurate and reliable, these are statements of opinion and are not to be taken as statements of fact. Until sold, each lot shall be at the Vendor(s) risk and it shall be his duty to preserve the same. After the fall of the hammer such risk and duty shall devolve upon the purchaser. The Auctioneers, on behalf of themselves and the Vendor, shall have a lien on each lot for the purchase money thereof until actual payment. No lot shall be removed from the place of sale until the sale has been concluded and a pass obtained from the Auctioneers or their Clerk. Notwithstanding such lien and the right of possession aforesaid, the Auctioneers will not undertake any risk as regards any lot, nor any liability whatever as to preservation or delivery thereof. The Auctioneers shall not be personally liable if any lot shall, without their knowledge, be destroyed or shall be missing at the date of the auction.
4. Notwithstanding the preceding Conditions, if within 10 days after the sale, the Buyer of any lot gives notice in writing and returns the lot to J Straker, Chadwick & Sons in the same condition as at the time of the sale and satisfies the Auctioneers that considered in the light of the terms of the Catalogue, the lot is a deliberate forgery then the sale of the lot will be rescinded and the purchase price of the same refunded.
5. TITLE OF GOODS SUPPLIED. All goods sold to the Purchaser will remain the property of the Vendor(s) until such time as the appropriate invoice has been paid in full.
6. TERMS. NETT FROM THE DATE OF INVOICE. This transaction has been completed according to the terms and conditions of sale, which are displayed in the saleroom. Included in the terms and conditions is a Rompalpa clause which states that title to the goods supplied on this invoice will not pass until the debt has been discharged in full.
7. The Purchasers of each lot shall immediately on the fall of the hammer give to the Auctioneers his or her exact name and address, and if required then to pay the purchase money of such lot, otherwise at the conclusion of the day’s sale. Every Purchaser shall clear the lots purchased by him or her immediately after the sale.
8. On failure of compliance with these conditions, the Auctioneers may resell the lot or lots either by public auction or private contract, and the deficiency (if any) with all expenses shall be made good by the defaulter at this sale, but such defaulter shall not be deemed to include the usual Auctioneer’s Commission on the re-sale and all expenses for porter, advertising, carriage, care, keep and otherwise.
J. STRAKER, CHADWICK & SONS
Please note that in accordance with our Terms and Conditions which are set out on our website and in our Auction Catalogue, all goods are covered by J Straker Chadwick & Sons Insurance whilst in our Auction Rooms.
Goods can be collected from our auction rooms in Abergavenny by arrangement or you can instruct a courier of your choice.
Please note that all couriers are independent of J Straker Chadwick & Sons and the contract for carriage is between yourself and your Courier Company. (Please check any chosen Courier’s Insurance cover).
The risk of damage to goods in transit is the responsibility of the vendor or purchaser, who should ensure the appropriate insurance arrangements are in place. The goods will not be covered under J Straker Chadwick & Sons Insurance cover once they have been removed from our auction rooms.
Should a pallet be requested there will be an additional charge of £15.00 + VAT, to include the cost of the pallet, packaging etc.
Please complete the bottom half of this form with the name of your Courier Company and date of collection. The goods will not be released unless we have received this form completed and signed beforehand.
As well as enclosing payment I accept the Terms and Conditions regarding the delivery of my goods purchased from J Straker Chadwick & Sons set out above. I accept that should there be any damage to my goods it will be my responsibility to make any claim against the Courier Company and J Straker Chadwick & Sons will not be responsible in any way whatsoever.
I have read and understood the above Terms and Conditions. Please accept this document as my instruction to release my goods to the Courier Company named below.
Name ¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬__________________________________________ (please print)