Buying at Alexanders
1. Buyers Guideline. This information is to offer the buyers the basic information for bidding and buying at Alexanders Auctioneers. For any further information please contact a senior representative prior to the sale.
2. Confidentiality. Alexanders are essentially an agent for the vendors and act accordingly to the terms and conditions of UK auctioneering law. Exchange of ownership of an item is passed at the point of the hammer. From this point the ownership lies with the buyer and all due payments are made to the auction house, on behalf of the seller. Thus, if you buy, your primary contract is with the seller.
3. Reserves and Estimates. Reserves are confidential and any discussion is at the discretion of a senior representative of the auction house.
Estimates are a guideline to help buyers assess the market potential based on considered factors relative to Alexanders Auctioneers and global trends and market factors assessed by the auction house and the valuation representative giving their educated and informed opinion. The lower estimate may represent the reserve price and certainly will not be below it. Estimates do not include the Buyer's Premium. Estimates are prepared in advance of the sale and may be altered by announcement before the sale if further information relating to the valuation is attained.
4. Buyers Premium. Buyers premium, or buyers commission, is currently 15% + VAT (18%). VAT is chargeable on all additional services offered by the auction house.
There may be additional surcharges for online buyers using the third party online portals. See information and terms on the respective portal website.
There is a further 2.5% surcharge on credit card payments. Debit cards carry no surcharge but a limit per transaction may apply.
6. Alexanders Auctioneers primarily act as agents for the seller. We are dependent on information provided by the seller and whilst we may inspect lots and act reasonably in taking a general view about them, we are normally unable to carry out a detailed or any examination of lots in order to ascertain their condition in the way in which it would be wise for a buyer to do. Intending buyers have ample opportunity for inspection of goods and, therefore, accept responsibility for inspecting and investigating lots in which they may be interested. However, should any lots be deemed to have been misrepresented in the description of the item then a refund would be considered in agreement with the vendor. This does not apply to estimate of value, which is merely a guideline, and not to be taken as a true value for insurance or resale purposes. Insurance valuations can be arranged by the auction house upon enquiry.
7. Electrical items. These are sold as decorative or antiques only and if bought for use must be checked over for compliance with safety regulations by a qualified electrician first. Alexanders will make every effort to advise if an item has been PAT tested but if this has not been stated then it is the role of the buyer to test the item.
8. To Bid. Bidders will be required to register before the sale commences and lots will be invoiced to the name and address on the registration form. Some form of identification may be required if you are unknown to us. Please enquire in advance about our arrangements for telephone bidding. Telephone bidding carries a minimum amount and may be subject to a surcharge. Contact Alexanders to discuss this service.
10. Commission Bids. Commission bids may be left with the auctioneers indicating the maximum amount to be bid excluding buyers’ premium. They will be executed as cheaply as possible having regard to the reserve (if any) and competing bids. If two buyers submit identical commission bids the auctioneers may prefer the first bid received.
11. Payment. We accept cash, debit cards, credit cards (2.5% surcharge) and bank transfers/bacs payments. Please enquire in relation to other methods of payment. No items may be removed until payments have been confirmed as received or guaranteed by financial parties. Payments may be taken from the card held by Easy Live Auction if no communication re payment or collection has been made, and arrangement for such in place. 24 hours is allowed from the sale end for payments and delivery/collection advised. After 24 hours Alexanders Auctioneers reserve the right to automatically process payments.
12. Refunds. In specified circumstances lots misdescribed may be returned and repayment made if agreed by the auction house and the vendor. A time limit of 7 days is allowed to asses any consideration relating to this.
13. Collection, Storage and Payment. It is important that goods are paid for and collected promptly. Any delay will involve the buyer in paying storage charges. Payment can automatically be taken by the auction house from the following day of the sale if no contact has been made by the buyer to arrange otherwise.